Hello and welcome to Scatter main thread !
Feel free to
- report bugs.
- talk about anything Scattering related.
- ask questions (not covered from the tutorial video series);
- requests stuff.
⚠️ Known Issues/Limitations:
Camera Clipping issue
on some really rare occasions, you file will be corrupted from camera clipping usage, you will not be able to use camera clipping anymore with this specific file.
An extremely rare blender bug related to Dynamic paint is the cause of this issue. i cannot do anything but advise you to transfer your terrain into a new file and reporting the issue to the foundation.
are you a victim of this bug ?
HOW TO KNOW IF YOU ARE A VICTIM OF THIS BUG ?
Ignore the rest of your scenes and follow these simple steps, we basically going to do a simple dynamic paint displacement setup in a few clicks.
- add a cube and a plane and subdivide the plane by 4 or 5 within edit mode
- add a dynamic paint modifier (physics tab) to the cube, “brush” type
- move this cube into a new collection, nothing in it except this cube
- add a dynamic paint modifier to the plane, “canvas” type, chose the colleciton you just created with the cube
if the plane is being displaced and camera clipping is not working correctly, either it’s a scatter bug or you did a wrong manipulation.
if the plane is not being displaced, then it’s a blender bug, and your file is somehow corrupted by this bug. please report it to the blender institute with the simplest Dynamic-paint failure example possible to demonstrate to the institute (witouth using scatter )
Working with a lot of particles is still difficult for blender, while scatter propose a lot of solutions to help with this problem, you will most likely experience slowdowns. But that is normal. slowdowns when working with any high polycount is something expected, not from scatter, nor blender, but any 3D softwares what so ever.
Original First post:
I spend maybe 4 hours this morning working on this meadow (only shading and particles)
i just want to make a topic speaking about the subject
After reading this article here below tried my best to recreate this exact scene in blender.
And this is the result:
- have a bunch of different variety of grasses/leaves/clovers… ect
- make sure to have different models of your grass, some in clusters, in different sizes and radius.
- make sure the terrain is naturally displaced and not flat.
- use a grass texture with little roots and different tones of grasses for the base plane.
- make sure that the material and translucency of your grass is accurate
- the material of the grass need to be wet enoug. 0.4 roughness is perfect for this scene
- Distribute your differents grasses models with a cluster map like this below using procedural black and white texture
- Tweak the material of the grass with a procedural texture, so that you can have different shade of green/yellow/dead grass tones, get rid of uniform colors. For the aldebeo AND translucency.
- in your scene always have some shadow to give this grass some relief
and its done.
While addons like graswald or grass-essential do excellent work for the grass material and model, there’s still a lot of work to do for clustering the different species with various clustering maps, reworking the material for color variation, and a lot features forest pack like missing.
i’d really like to see an addon that can do that within blenders
so let’s do it !
ps: This topic is also a work in progress topic from the very beginning, you can scroll through Scatter development starting at the posts belows